Brian “The Saxman” Omundsen is a self-taught vocalist/saxophonist hailing originally from Wanganui, New Zealand. For over 3 decades, he has travelled extensively – performing at concerts, festivals, bars, on South Pacific cruise ships, and at functions too numerous to mention.
He is a recording artist, with 3 solo albums and 1 collaborative album under his belt.
With many influences from Jazz to Rock, Brian performs in a contemporary yet unique way that crosses and mixes many musical styles. Each show is weighed up according to the audience and situation, and you can be sure that every song is delivered with enthusiasm, feel and energy.
He embraces strong usage of melody and harmony, and he describes his sax-playing technique as ‘an extension of his voice’. Reviews of Brian’s work say much about his ability and the feeling he pours into every performance. Often heard mentioned at his gigs, is how versatile his repertoire is, encompassing material from:
- Grover Washington Jr.
- Louis Armstrong
- Frank Sinatra
- Louis Jordan
- Manhattan Transfer
- Kenny G
- George Michael
- Eric Clapton
- Van Morrison
- J J Cale
- Simply Red
- George Thorogood
- Doobie Bros
………………..and much more
- …without your efforts the day would not have been the wonderful occasion that it was. Thank you once again, and we look forward to you being part of the next festival
- …the music was fantastic and everybody seemed to get up and enjoy themselves, thanks heaps for making our day even more special. You are fantastic.
- …he has played to all sizes of audience, from big concert crowds to patrons in intimate bars, and he has played them everything from pop, rock, blues and jazz to
quiet mood music.
- …twelve years as a professional entertainer have honed Brian’s musical performance skills, and people come back to see him time and again.
- …public reaction to (Brian’s) shows is consistently favourable, and the material he plays is well suited to the wide range of people who attend these concerts.
- …your brilliant performance helped make the evening a success for all of us.
We’ve had glowing comments about the superb standard of your singing and saxophone playing.
- …with seemingly little effort an instrument is being tamed and mastered and impresses members of a brass band who have come to listen and appreciate.
- …Brian underlines his saxophone talent with a rich and distinctive singing voice, switching from a musician playing, to a singer singing smoothly and naturally. It is easy to picture several musicians and a singer and hard to realise this is a solo act.
He is currently based in the Rangitikei district of the North Island of New Zealand.
If you’re looking for a charismatic entertainer to bring that special live touch to your event, Brian is available, and can be reached here.